The following process explains what we do. Remember that all the steps may not apply to your records. Moreover, you may choose to manage some of these activities in-house.
Step 1: Clean and sort
- Clean the records of dust and cobwebs.
- Sort out damp or wet records. Dry them and re-file if they can be salvaged.
- Sort out records that show signs of pests like termites or silverfish.
- Copy the pest-infested paper if need be and then destroy the originals.
- Segregate records as “obsolete” and “inactive”.
- Shred obsolete records.
Step 2: Pack and inventory
- Pack inactive records in boxes.
- Make an inventory of packed records.
- Note the destruction date, or the retention period, for each set of records.
- Label the boxes with barcodes.
Step 3: Transport, Store and Record
- Transport packed records to our storage facility.
- Scan the barcode on the boxes using handheld scanners.
- Place the boxes on our heavy-duty steel shelves custom-built by Godrej.
- Scan the barcode on the shelf marking the location of the box.
- Record data includes information on location of the box in the facility, destruction date, contents of box and any other details you would like us to store.
Step 4: Retrieve and Destroy
- On your request, retrieve records and deliver them to your office.
- Notify you when records are obsolete and on your instructions, shred them such that the information on the documents is no longer usable.